The Names of God
Primary scripture reading:
12 When he had washed their feet and put on his outer garments and resumed his place, he said to them, “Do you understand what I have done to you? 13 You call me Teacher and Lord, and you are right, for so I am. 14 If I then, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another's feet. 15 For I have given you an example, that you also should do just as I have done to you.
1. In ancient Israel, all education was done through the Temple or a Synagogue. There was only one textbook… Scripture.
When people referred to Jesus as Rhabbouni… or Rabbi, it would have caused quit a stir because Jesus didn’t have any “formal” education. He didn’t have a Rabbi that trained Him. Of course we know that as God’s Son, He didn’t need one.
Jesus’ teaching was incredibly popular. Great crowds would gather to hear Him.
Now when Jesus heard this, he withdrew from there in a boat to a desolate place by himself. But when the crowds heard it, they followed him on foot from the towns.
2. Jesus is our Rabbi… teacher
* What was your favorite subject in school?
* What was your least favorite?
In the same manner, there will be “subjects” that Jesus teaches that we will gravitate to. There will also be those that we shy away from.
2 Timothy 3.16-17
All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, 17 so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.
* What teaching of Jesus would you consider your favorite? ( end times, grace, forgiveness….)
* What teaching of Jesus do you shy away from?
(forgiveness, personal discipline, generosity…)
3. What has Jesus taught you?
* Looking back over your life in Christ, what teaching has impacted you the most?
Is there a principle that you apply on a daily basis?
What is the most recent thing you’ve learned?
Seeing the crowds, he went up on the mountain, and when he sat down, his disciples came to him.
2 And he opened his mouth and taught them, saying:
Jesus is still teaching. He hasn’t retired! He is the best teacher you could ever have. His teaching is truth and will lead you to the still waters and green pastures.