The Names of God
1. What’s in a name?
Throughout history much of the world has wanted to speak highly of Jesus without recognizing His deity and lordship.
* Pontius Pilate said, “I find no guilt in this man” (Luke 23:4).
* Napoleon said, “I know men, and Jesus was no mere man.”
* Strauss, the German rationalist, said Jesus was the “highest model of religion.”
* John Stuart Mill said Jesus was “the guide of humanity.”
* The French atheist Renanas said Jesus was “the greatest among the sons of men.”
But all of these descriptions and titles fall short of identifying Jesus as He fully is…. the Messiah, God in human flesh.
C.S. Lewis wrote, “You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God; or else a madman or something worse. You can shut Him up for a fool; you can spit at Him and kill Him for a demon; or you can fall at His feet and call Him Lord and God. But let us not come with any patronizing nonsense about his being a great human teacher. He has not left that open to us. He did not intend to.”
2. What does Lord mean?
The term Lord is defined as, "A man of renowned power or authority.”
During His ministry on this planet He had authority over sickness, He calmed an entire storm, He had power over animals, He had power over the molecular structure of the universe, demons trembled in fear of His power, and He even conquered death on several occasions. He came from heaven to Earth, and conquered the things of the Earth. He is the Lord, as His authority over nature is absolute.
S.M. Zwemer makes a sobering statement about the lordship of Jesus Christ: “Unless Jesus is Lord of all, He is not Lord at all.” This is a challenge to all Christians to bring every area of our lives under the sovereign rule of Jesus Christ.
* What are some of the different authorities that you experience in a normal day?
* How have you experienced Jesus’ authority in your life?
* In your opinion, what is the biggest thing that keeps people from the Lordship of Christ?
3. The Lordship is essential to our salvation.
Consider some of the things that Jesus did for our salvation only because He is the Lord God:
• He became the perfect sacrifice for our sins, without spot or blemish.
• He gave His life as a sacrifice for all mankind - past, present, and future.
• He rose from the dead to live and offer us eternal life.
• He promises, provides, and secures the eternal life of all who believe in Him.
While Lord speaks of His position of deity, the name Jesus speaks of His humanity and role of Savior, because Jesus means Savior.
4. You cannot “make” Jesus Lord.
The reality is that you cannot make Jesus Lord because He already is the Lord! What you can do is acknowledge His Lordship in your life and accept it.
So that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, 11 and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.