Passing the Baton
GREAT NEED TODAY: OUR WORLD
Teen pregnancy has increased over 500% in the past thirty years;
Suicide among young people has jumped 300% in that same period;
Over a thousand teen girls get abortions every day in this country;
4,000 kids a day catch a sexually transmitted disease,
You have probably seen the statistics.
• Seventy-four percent (74%) of our Christian kids say they cheat on school tests;
• Eighty-three percent (83%) say they lie to their teachers;
• Ninety-three percent (93%) lie to their parents; and
• Sixty-three percent (63%) say they become physically violent toward others when angered.
• 70% don’t believe an absolute moral truth exists.
* 64% of our young people believe that "if a person is generally good or does enough good things for others during their life, they will earn a place in heaven."
HOW DO WE PASS THE BATON?
JESUS SETS THE STANDARD, GIVES US AN EXAMPLE
1. REALIZE PASSING THE BATON IS INTENTIONAL.
PASSING THE BATON JUST DOESN’T HAPPEN
VER. 15 JESUS “DREW NEAR” AND “WENT WITH THEM”…
WON’T HAPPEN BY CHANCE
JESUS SAUGHT THESE GUYS OUT
INSTEAD OF GOING BACK TO HEAVEN, JESUS STAYED AND BUILT RELATIONSHIPS.
2. PASSING THE BATON IS SACRIFICIAL.
JESUS WALKED WITH THEM FOR 7 MILES…
REQUIRED THE TIME, ENERGY AND EFFORT OF JESUS
JESUS COULD HAVE IMMEDIATELY GONE BACK TO HEAVEN.
HOW DO YOU SPELL LOVE? TIME
3. JESUS USED THE BIBLE TO PASS THE BATON
VER. 27 HE “EXPOUNDED TO THEM THE SCRIPTURES”
27 And beginning at Moses and all the Prophets, He expounded to them in all the Scriptures the things concerning Himself.
VER. 32 HE “OPENED THE SCRIPTURES” TO THEM
32 And they said to one another, "Did not our heart burn within us while He talked with us on the road, and while He opened the Scriptures to us?"
VER. 45 HE “OPENED THEIR UNDERSTANDING”
45 And He opened their understanding, that they might comprehend the Scriptures.
4. JESUS BECAME PERSONALLY INVOLVED IN PASSING THE BATON
VER. 40 HE SHOWED THEM HIS HANDS AND FEET…
36 Now as they said these things, Jesus Himself stood in the midst of them, and said to them, "Peace to you."
37 But they were terrified and frightened, and supposed they had seen a spirit.
38 And He said to them, "Why are you troubled? And why do doubts arise in your hearts?
39 Behold My hands and My feet, that it is I Myself. Handle Me and see, for a spirit does not have flesh and bones as you see I have."
40 When He had said this, He showed them His hands and His feet.
PASSING THE BATON IS “HANDS ON”..
YOU CAN’T DELEGATE IT TO OTHERS…
5. JESUS USED ENCOURAGEMENT TO PASS THE BATON
VER. 50 HE “BLESSED” THEM… ENCOURAGEMENT
50 And He led them out as far as Bethany, and He lifted up His hands and blessed them.
WHO WILL YOU PASS THE BATON TO?
WHO CAN YOU ENCOURAGE TODAY?